Sunday, October 04, 2009

Lazy Sunday

Came home and jumped in bed, even though I slept all night at work. Slept till noon... not sure why I'm so tired!?!?!?

Went to Luke's Locker to exchange a hydration belt I bought a few weeks back. I've had lots of different experiences with Luke's through the years. Thankfully my last few visits have made me fall in love with them again. They were happy to find me a new hydration belt and return the old belt without any hassles.

The original hydration pack I bought is better suited for walkers. I learned this the hard way. I found it hot, cumbersome, and ill-fitting. Today I purchased a Nathan 4-bottle belt, which is very similar to the Fuel Belt. I liked the Nathan because there was more elasticity in the belt and I was able to remove and insert the bottles with one hand. Seemed like a good choice.

This evening Andrea and I went for a 3 mile run slash 3 mile hike. I wore my new hydration belt to see how things were going to work out. While walking I could tell the bottles were touching my skin. I didn't notice this in the store, but that's probably because they didn't have water in them. Once we started running it felt like the bottles were actually digging into my abdomen. I know this is the result of my "big belly", but it's not going to work for me nor will I wear on every run.

Now I find myself stuck on what to do. I feel lucky they returned the first hydration belt, but do I push my luck and try again? I don't want to be a bad customer, but these belts cost $50, so I want to find one I will use. I've been using a handheld bottle for my longer runs. Maybe I should stick with handheld devices until I lose more weight. After the run I lifted my shirt to find two red spots where the bottles were rubbing. These hot-spots were on their way to becoming a blister.

As for the run, it was entirely too humid for my liking. Actually.... it was raining the entire time. It was only a light drizzle, so it didn't bother us inside the greenbelts.

I wore an older pair of shoes, because it was wet and I'm trying to get every last mile out of the shoes before I get ride of them. During this run I had all kinds of aches and pains. This makes it easier to retire the shoes. They were good shoes, but today was their final run.

Run:
3.0 miles
36:27
12:09 pace

Walk:
3.49 miles
59:08
16:56 pace

No comments: