Sunday, October 11, 2009

Space City USA 10-miler

Late last night our race day babysitting fell apart, leaving us wondering about the race. Out of nowhere Tom called and asked if I was running Sunday. I told him about the race and he took an immediate interest. Within a hour we worked out the details. Tom's wife generously offered to watch the girls at the start line along with their daughter while I pushed Preston in the stroller.

A lot better experience than the last time I ran this race in 2006. Today's temperature was 63 degrees with overcast skies at the start with very little change over the two-hour duration.

Andrea and I seeded ourselves as the final people to start due to the "prohibited" stroller use. Our plan was to run an 11:00/mile pace and pick up the pace over the last tenth of every mile. By mile three we were far ahead of our game plan. We continued to run negative or near-negative splits the entire time. At mile six we altered our goal to finish sub-10:30 pace. Our goal required a lot more work, yet was obtainable. To reach the new goal we needed to run a 9:30 pace, which we executed without any issues. Over the last half of the course Andrea and I evenly alternated stroller duties without any unwanted changes in our pace.

Andrea got a kick out of all the comments made as we passed other runners with a stroller. The most common comment was, "It's bad when you get passed by the man running with the stroller". Since we started so far back, we passed lots and lots of people. Only one snide comment, which I'm OK with. I purposely stayed out of every one's way, but I know the frustration runners feel when the path is clogged by a stroller or they hit your heal with the wheel of the stroller.

Great long sleeve Brooks technical shirt, good water stations, and great food at the finish line. Well done RD!

Spent the remainder of the day watching Andrea and the kids decorate the house with Halloween stuff. We had a lot of fun. I think the most productive thing I did was play with the kid's.

It's been a long, exhausting day.

Even though last night rocked the core of my soul, I feel good and I'm happy with my life. If there's one positive to be taken from the incident, I think I found it... a greater respect of those who love me and a new outlook on my priorities.

Run:
10.05 miles
1:44:15
10:22 pace

Splits:
11:13, 10:51, 10:31, 10:40, 10:42,
10:23, 10:23, 10:12, 9:51, 9:10

No comments: