Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Long Run(s)

Late yesterday afternoon Wyatt confirmed he would work for me, which allowed me to run with Kingwood FIT. As an added bonus, Tom wanted to run with my group and was able to find someone to work for him as well.

Probably the coldest weather run this year, yet it was only in the upper 40's. Initially I slipped on a long sleeve tech shirt, then I thought it over and knew I would warm up and regret the decision. Fifteen minutes into the run I was glad to be in a sleeveless shirt!

The route was an easy stroll through Kingwood. The group was scheduled for 9 miles. There must have been a mistake, because the route was one mile short. A little out and back was an easy fix for the extra distance. Once I got the group to nine miles, Tom and I took off for another 3 miles.

This was the first time Tom has run further than 10 miles. He was excited to run a new longer distance and I'm happy to help. While running with KWFIT, I ran BESIDE the concrete pathway when I could. I spent a lot of time talking to everyone about the beating our body takes when we run on concrete day after day. When I took Tom out for the extra 3 miles, most of it was along a trail on the bayou. Once we got back on the street, I think he was convinced that concrete truly "rattles your bones".

It was a good easy run. I'm finally in a nice pattern of running. Not to brag, but today's 12-miler simply seemed like "another run".

Run:
12.2 miles
2:24:40
11:51 pace

Once I got home Andrea took off for her scheduled 14-mile run. Once she completed the first 7-miles the kids and I joined her on our bikes. Alison did great and Preston enjoyed sitting behind me in his bike car seat.

Andrea is on track for a great marathon debut and I couldn't be more proud! AGAIN, I spent a lot of time trying to get her off the concrete. Hopefully Andrea and my other runners will train smarter and learn from my mistakes.

Trail Bike:
6.41 miles
1:20:43
4.76 mph

Finished the day by taking the kids trick or treating.... pictures to follow shortly

No comments: