Saturday, October 10, 2009

Great Start, HORRIFIC End

Awake at 5am to run with Kingwood FIT. I'm running the USA 10-miler in the morning, so I offered an alternate 5-mile run as opposed to the 7 mile scheduled run. I told myself I'd only do 3 miles, but some how it turned into 5 with the beautiful weather.

Two participants ran the alternate route with me. Great run and great conversation!

Run:
5.0 miles
57:08
11:26 pace

When I got home I installed the baby bike seat and took Preston for a ride around the greenbelts.

Trail Bike:
5.77 miles
33:26
10.35 mph

By the time we finished the bike ride Andrea and the kids were packed and ready for our day at Chain of Lakes outside of Cleveland, TX. I've heard of the place several times in my life, but I've never been there. I was shocked by the size and how nice it was. It's a large network of log cabins on numerous lakes. There is a lot to do out there, almost too much to list. The kids had a great time and I was appreciative to Andrea's mom to inviting us. During our visit we socialized on the porch of the cabin, fed an alligator, fished at a stocked pond, visited the playground, and went swimming.

Then I found a bump in the road. Somewhere along the way, something went horribly wrong. My presence is completely new to Andrea's family and it would seem, not welcomed. I refuse to post details on an open blog, but it was brutal.

With the exception of my divorce, I honestly can't think of the last time someone made me feel the way they did. Everything seemed perfect until we said we were getting ready to go home. While packing there was a series of deliberate jabs, which I ignored. In fact, I sat there smiling and tried to change the subject with each assault. And trust me, it's not my "style" to sit there and just "take it", but I did because I love Andrea more than anyone will ever know. The matter came to a boiling point and I found myself cornered. I tried to calmly explain our way though their misconceptions of the facts. Unfortunately, some people can be oblivious to reality and the truth.

It's appalling knowing they confronted me in front of our children. Initially it was one versus one, but quickly turned to three vs one. There is nothing I can do or say to change the ideals of people who are unable to reason, listen, or communicate. Knowing as much as I do about their lives I could have Rocked-Their-World, but I took the high road, leaving them to live in their our gross inadequacies.

I'm so disappointed in the whole ordeal. There has been sucker punches before this, but I had hoped they were done in fun without any real merit. If nothing else, today I learned their true feelings. Who knows if I will ever get over this, but I can promise it will never be forgotten.

No comments: