Monday, October 19, 2009

Guadalupe National Park

Returned from Guadalupe National Park at 2 am this morning. What a great, albeit fast trip. I woke up a little before 4am on Saturday and ran 3 miles. I packed my equipment the night before, so after my run I showered and started the four hour drive to Kerrville to pick-up Josh and Olga. I managed to make it all the way to Kerrville without a single stop. From there we drove the remaining 5 hours to Salt Flats. It actually took us about 6 hours when you add time for fuel and eating.

We were really worried we wasn't going to arrive in time to get a back country permit, which would allow us to camp near the trail. Our GPS estimated our arrival time at 4:50 and when Josh called the park Ranger he said the visitor station closes at 4:30 and there wasn't enough time for us to make it to the camp site before dark. We were given directions which included a drive down a long dirt road, where we are allowed to camp wherever we wanted. We pushed the speed limits and tried to get there and plea our case to Park Ranger for an exception. Lucky for us, about 20 minutes before we reached the park we entered Mountain time zone, which gave us an additional hour.

After getting our permits we didn't waste any time getting on the trail. We had no idea where the camp site was, which left us a little apprehensive. Josh and Olga struggled in the beginning. Both are very athletic, but this is something totally different. I can say the same for myself. It was a lot harder than I expected, but my cardio fitness was a huge benefit.

After 30 minutes I gave Josh my trekking poles and departed him and Olga. I wanted to insure we were on the right trail. I told them if it was not correct route I would come back and get them, but if they didn't see me then keep hiking. Plus, I wanted to get there as soon as possible and set up camp before it was completely dark.

The climb up was absolutely stunning. Words and pictures just aren't enough to explain it. After 1.5 hours of strenuous hiking I saw a hiker coming down the mountain. I asked how far to the Guadalupe Tent camp and he said, "I think its another hour up". At this point I was getting concerned. It was already getting dark and I had no idea where Josh and Olga were. I kept on hiking and assumed I'll either find the camp or the top!

Once I reached the hour time mark given to me by the last hiker off the mountain, I was mentally reviewing my options. I finally saw some level ground that was suitable to set up my tent, so I knew I would be safe, yet I'd rather find the camp site and then go look for Josh. Finally after 2.5 hours of hiking I found the location. I spoke with a man that was already set up and had been on the mountain a couple days. He showed me a good location to set up my tent that would be out of the wind. It was nearly dark by now, so I set up my tent in record time.

After getting settled, I had to eat before I did anything else. The climb took a lot of effort. While eating I sat there wondering if I should attempt to go back for Josh. As I was finishing the final bites of my sandwich I saw a light walking down the trail. It was Josh and Olga! To my surprise they were only about 30 minutes behind me. Josh told me later he started feeling better and the poles helped a lot.

I don't know what the temperature was, but I was cold the entire night. Our tents were in an establish location with wind barriers, but I still felt a draft coming inside the tent. About 15 yards away was a deep canyon and we heard the wind howling all night long. Thankfully I had both sleeping pads. I could only imagine how miserable I would have been if I had to sleep on the rocky surface of the mountain. It took a couple hours, but I managed to fall asleep.

We woke up early the next morning to start our hike to Guadalupe Peak. The other hiker in the camp said it was 3/4 mile or about a 45 minute hike. Maybe we were better rested or something, but it seemed like we were at the top in no time at all. The views of El Capitan was breath taking. Having lived at sea level all my life, the views from high elevations always manage to leave me speechless.

I was the first to sign the register for October 18, 2009. We took all the usual photos, plus a few funny ones after we climbed atop of the actual steel monument. After calling Andrea from the "Top of Texas" we were back on our way to the camp site where we left most of our stuff. Near the top we saw a two mule deer does only 50 yards below us. Once we got back to our camp it didn't take long to repack and get back on the trail.

The decent was harder than the climb for me. Of course I wasn't out of breath and didn't need to take a lot of breaks, but there is this constant braking as you are going down. On top of that, with each step, your toes are pushed to the front of your shoe and after awhile it starts to hurt. Once again, I left Josh and Olga and hiked down alone. They knew the way down the mountain, so I left them behind. I was in my own special place. I've found something inside of me that craves nature and solitude. Maybe that's why I have a strong new interest in trail running. All I know is I really like my runs/biking/hiking that are undisturbed by urban life.

After a short visit at the ranger station we were back on the road. I've never liked driving, so this trip was a challenge for me. Our plans were to stay in Fort Stockton the second night, but I told them I'd rather drive straight through and sleep in my own bed. We left Guadalupe National Park at 3pm. I dropped Josh and Olga off in Kerrville at 8:30 and I was back in Kingwood at 2am.

I only have two regrets about this trip. 1: I wish Andrea would have been with me and 2: I wish is wasn't so rushed.

Otherwise, it was perfect. This is something I will remember for the rest of my life.
























































No comments: