Friday, July 10, 2009

Running Partner

My legs are dead after a couple cardio bouts.

The bike ride back home (from work) was tougher than the prior days ride. A late EMS call resulted in a 9am ride.... in the sun.

For the first time in a really long time I had a running partner today. Andrea joined me as part of her 4 mile run. My workout was much shorter and slower, but it was nice to see someone beside me. Between the morning bike ride and the afternoon heat, I felt there was a fair chance I would not have ran 18 consecutive minutes without the support. We didn't talk much, yet I appreciated the company. Seven minute warm-up walk, 18-minute run, and eight minute cool down walk.

Last year I picked up a small booklet at the Lions Club bike race. It's titled "Change the World; 1-world, 2-wheels". It's a great little read and it appears to be a campaign by Trek to get people healthier, reduce pollution, and combat childhood obesity. Anyways, I wanted to quote one of the pages I thought was interesting:
FOR YOUR HEALTH
-The average person loses 13 lbs their first year of commuting by bike
-Just three hours of bicycling per week can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by 50%.
-A 140-pound cyclist burns 508 calories while pedaling 14 miles in an hour.

Cool, fun facts. Maybe I will quote a page each day...

Trail Bike:
7.77 miles
39:09
11.91 mph

Walk:
0.76 miles
13:41
18:00 pace

Run:
1.46 miles
18:02
12:21 pace

No comments: