Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Garmin 310xt and Alligator

Lots to blog about, so I'll TRY to keep it short.

Biked home from work this morning.
Biked to the bank.
Biked to the post office.
Biked to the barber.
Biked to get lunch.
Biked beside Andrea while she ran.

Now for the finer details. The bike ride home was a little faster than all the prior rides... about 12 mph. Surprising to me, considering I ran 10-hours prior.

Started the day with a GREAT picture of Preston. Erin sent the picture to me via text and I still find it nearly impossible to look at it without smiling ear-to-ear.



On my bike ride to the bank, I rode the greenbelts by my house near the lakes, across from the Country Club. A few months ago I noticed a couple signs that read "Alligator in Lake". I always "look" for a gator, but never see anything. I assumed there wasn't one at all or it was a baby.

In the 30 foot median of grass between the greenbelt and the lake I saw what I thought was a huge log. As I got closer the alligator slide into the lake, re-surfaced, and slowly swam away. That gator was huge! My guess is 8-10 feet and is the largest wild alligator I have ever seen. I tried my best to capture a picture, but it was impossible with my phone camera.



The best news of the day came by way of UPS. My new garmin 310xt arrived today. This thing is so freaking awesome. Garmin is truly fine tuning their unit to the needs of runners and it shows. One of the biggest perks I found, which isn't advertised is the vib-alert. When you push a button or anything changes there is a small vibration. This is handy because I seldom hear the chime when running. Also, the band is a lot more comfortable than prior models. The remote sync is the same and always nice. I've only had the unit a day, but I noticed the time needed to locate satellites was mere seconds and a zillion times faster than the other models. I wore the 310xt while biking (Andrea running) and the watch versus the bike computer were both dead-on... for the most part.



As I listed above, lots of biking today. My truck hasn't moved in 2 days and probably won't tomorrow either. My knee feels good and I'm ready to run 24 minutes tomorrow. I combined all the bike mileage and times. I was going really slow on the last ride because I was following Andrea while she ran. Before the last ride my pace was in the low-mid 11 mph

Trial Bike:
17.83 miles
1:51:42
9.58 mph

No comments: