Friday, July 24, 2009

Interesting Run

Biked home from work this morning. Fastest ride so far, but there again, I was on my road bike.

Road Bike:
6.04 miles
25:10
14.42 mph

I forgot my running shorts at work yesterday, so my run was moved to today. I dreaded the run all day long. My head just wasn't in the game for some reason. Around noon the temp was only 84 degrees due to localized rain showers. I should have run then, but I kept pushing the run later and later. Finally at 5pm, I walked out the door. Weather.com reported the temp at 91 degrees. I suppose that's my punishment for needless delays.

The humidity was awful. Like Coach Steeve use to say, it was like running in pea soup. Somewhere along the way a seed was planted in my head that I wouldn't finish. In an attempt to make the best of the workout I elected to NOT look at the pace on my garmin 310xt AND add an extra 30-seconds to my walk break. I know its a bit pathetic, but it's what I felt needed to be done. I'm also proud to say, it worked! The run, albeit slow, felt pleasant. Alison was on her bicycle and I pushed Preston in the jogging stroller. With each walk break my heart rate had a chance to return to normal levels and left me ready for the next interval. Of course I won't allow this to be a staple of my training, but for the time I'm being creative with my running regimen.

For those interested the workout looked like this; warm-up walk, 15 cycles of run 2:000/walk 1:30, followed by a cool-down walk.

Tomorrow is my second session at Kingwood FIT as assistant half-marathon coach. I'll be running two continuous miles with the troops. I do well with other runners, so there will certainly be a shared relationship.

Walk:
1.8 miles
31:03
17:15 pace

Run:
2.32 miles
30:00
12:56 pace

Also performed the YMCA 3-minute step test on myself. Disappointed with the results, but it's just more fuel for my fire.

...t-minus 60-hours till big changes.

No comments: