Sunday, June 25, 2006

Quality Long Run

I am both excited and proud to log today's 11.5-mile run.
Matt and Bessie answered yesterdays email plea for a 10+ mile long run. This mornings run was tough and challenging. More importantly, it was a quality run. Last night, Matt suggested an "easy run" on League Line Road in Conroe, Texas. Those of you that have run there are probably laughing by now, because you know it is anything but easy.

By Houston standards League Line Road has intermediate rolling hills. A couple of the hills inside the Silverleaf Resort are border-line aggressive. Today's run started at 6am with an enjoyable temperature and a pleasant breeze coming off the lake. We parked at Christ Church on League Line Road and started our LSD from there. We ran the first 2.5 mile leg from the Christ Church parking lot and ending at lake Conroe. After a small water break we did a few tough miles inside the Silverleaf Resort, then back to the Lake Conroe/League Line Road point. We assembled back at the Church parking lot for our final water break before we tackled the last 5k. The last leg was run completely inside the scenic Teaswood Subdivison. The hills were more gradual inside Teaswood, but after the Silverleaf Resort hills, my legs were exhausted.

I finished the first 10 miles comfortably, but the final 1.5 was pure torture! Torture maybe, but I loved every minute of it. I took a couple unscheduled walk breaks (both less than 50 yards), but finished strong with an even 11:00 mile pace for the entire run.

As usual, I cannot say enough kind words about fellow Striders Matt and Bessie. They bring out the best in me and my running. Matt ran today even though he ran 15 miles yeserday. Now, thats a man who loves to run. You guys ROCK! Today's 11.52 mile run is my longest distance to date. Thanks for the awesome run.

If I can find any extra strength, I plan on doing my lower-body weight training this evening. We'll see, right now I am cursing at the stairs inside my house.

Activity: Long Run
Mileage: 11:52
Time: 2:06:42 (11:00 mile pace)
Laps:
10:49
10:56
11:06
11:10
11:26
11:07
10:58
10:39
10:27
11:15
11:08
05:34 (0.52 mile)
Location: League Line Road, Conroe TX
How I Felt: 9

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great report, Bill. Sound like you had a great workout. Keep up the good work.