Sunday, June 11, 2006

Day 10

Tenth day of injury. My doctor stated the pain could last up to ten days. So, what is going on? The pain is still present, but tolerable. The doctor stated if I had pain on Monday (tomorrow), he would order a MRI of my lower back. That's not good news for me, because my insurance has a $1500 annual deductible for MRI and CAT scans.

Since the prescribed medications and rest are not working, I've elected to try things my way. I have more pain sitting and standing around than when I'm engaged in an activity. Example: This morning my back was bothering me (no pain, mild discomfort) while sitting down, eating breakfast. Shortly thereafter, I needed to mow the lawn, which I did with no pain whatsoever. Same for yesterdays run with Alison... discomfort watching runners, and pain-free actually running.

Late today, I decided to attempt a light workout. I reduced all my weights by 30% for 16 different upper and mid-body exercises. I reduced the lower body exercises by 20%. I was able to complete an upper body workout, which consisted of eight different exercises. All went well. Being in the gym felt nice. Before I started working out, I planned to do a total body workout. Subsequent to a VERY SMALL discomfort near the injury, I decided to be happy with what I did.

The NEW plan: If all goes well I will complete a different workout each day (upper, lower, mid, upper, lower, mid, etc). My main objective is consistency. I have lost strength over the last month. As noted in a post prior to the injury, my workouts have been spotty at best, so the strength lose is no big surprise. As Vic would say... I'm ok with that.

Activity: Weight training
Body Part: Upper
Time: 30 minutes
Location: Home Gym
How I felt: 8

Weight: 212

Calories: 2989
Fat: 65 grams
Carbs: 449 grams
Protein: 173 grams

No comments: