Thursday, June 29, 2006

Final June Run

I was up late last night, consequently the pre-work morning run was scrapped in lieu of an extra hour of sleep. I ran at work, which is a series of 0.20 loops around the fire station. Seven miles worth of urban, unshaded, concrete loops is less than exciting in my book. I ran at 4:30 pm, so I could eat and go to bed early. The heat wasn't as bad as anticipated, maybe its a combination of: 1. I'm getting use to the heat, 2. The humidity has been fair to us, and 3. I worry more about the distance or pace, so there's not much room to worry about the heat.

The bad news: those big, bad shin splints are back. Yuk! As you can see from the pace below, my left leg was killing me. The rookie on my shift joined me for the last three miles. Isn't it weird how much faster you run with company? I thought I was holding the same pace during the entire run, but I was wrong. The numbers below show some decent running at the end, considering the leg pain and temperature.

I'm so excited about my upcoming Saturday run. If all goes well I will run my first 1/2 marathon distance, 13.1 miles at Cullen Park-Little Bear park. Wish me luck!

If your bored and looking for something to read, I found an awesome blog post about running and donating blood. Check it out, lots of interesting information!

Activity: Easy Run
Mileage: 7 miles
Time: 1:18:16 - 11:11 pace
Splits:
11:26
11:33
11:58
11:44
10:39
10:17
10:36
Location: Humble Fire Department
How I felt: 7

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Sorry about the shin splints. Get some ice on them and stretch. I hope your next run gets better.

Unknown said...

take care of those shins. Have fun this weekend. Look forward to hearing all about the 13.1

TX Runner Mom said...

Yep, I can totally relate on the shins. Mine are medial as well and hurt like heck!!! Good luck with your run this weekend and don't forget to ice the shins afterwards.