Monday, June 12, 2006

MD Appointment

Nothing new with the back injury. The doctor took me off the pain medications. He probably did this because I told him I wasn't taking them anymore. He ordered an X-ray of my lower back to rule-out a bone spur. My problem is not a bone spur. I have two herniated disc in the lumbar region of my spine. When the disc bulge or they are compressed it will stimulate the nerve going to my lower back muscles, resulting in involuntary muscle spasms. This is the third time in ten years it has happened. This doctor treated me for the last episode of "muscle spasms". Back then Celebrex was the big drug, which is a WONDER drug for my injury. Only problem is, the drug is under a lot of controversy and he refuses to write me a prescription for it. Celebrex is very similar to ibuprofren, but much, much stronger. Oh well. Life goes on.

I forgot to ask the doctor about running. It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, right? The doctor is continuing to keep me off work till Monday, June 19, 2006. I was scheduled to be on duty Saturday, consequently I was not going to attend the HARRA Banquet. With my new and improved attitude, I see this as my silver lining. Now, I will be attending the function with my family. One side note: I'm letting you know now... Saturday is the banquet with Mexican food and Sunday is Father's day... look for the calorie counter to be reset.

My attitude as been a lot more positive since yesterday (and today's) workout. I feel stronger and the post-workout muscle soreness is a welcomed sight! Today was a mid-body training day, which included my back. I was terrified I would have issues. At first everything was tight. I forced myself to take it slow and not push anything. The hardest exercise was my abdominals. You forget the significant role your back plays in a simple abdominal crunch. I'm excited about the regimen of LESS IS MORE. Tomorrow is lower body.

I know running is closer to a new lifestyle for me. I constantly think about running and I truly miss it! I'm going to sneak in a couple miles tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Activity: Weight training
Body Region: Mid-body
Time: 30 minutes
Location: Home Gym
How I Felt: 10, but very nervous!

Weight: 211.5

Calories: 2853
Fat: 57 grams
Carbs: 322 grams
Protein: 319 grams (way too high)

No comments: