Thursday, December 03, 2009

Cycling with Friends

Today was a flex day built into my schedule. The flexibility enables me to take the day off if I am tired & sore or go crazy if I feel good. I fell somewhere in the middle.

I ran two and a half miles in the cold. It was hard to get out the door, but I felt better once I started.

At noon Bob, Eric, Steve, and I met near Duessin Park for a bike ride. I was worried about the cooler temperatures, because I don't like cycling in the cold. I bundled up with several layers, including tights. The other guys were aggressive with the pace, so I end up getting warm. I dressed appropriately, had it been a leisure ride.

We had a good ride. When it comes to endurance events I feel strong, but of the four of us, I was the weakest link. It's good to ride and run with stronger athletes. By chasing faster people, I reap the benefits of becoming faster and stronger myself. On the final two mile stretch they put the hammer down, but I had to let them go. With a 31 mile run less than two days away, I had to show some restraint.

After the ride I started 48-hours of recovery with a GREAT sports massage. I asked the therapist to work on my legs and back only. She did wonders with her hands, but ran out of time before letting me flip over and work the front side of my legs (Quads & shins). My right ITB was clearly tight. I broke out in a sweat a couple times due to the pain. She also found several "knots" in my calves. It hurt like hell, but it will pay off in the end.

Skipped strength training. I don't want to take a chance of being sore Saturday.

Run:
2.75 miles
28:58
10:32 pace

Walk:
0.6 mile
9:54
16:30 pace

Road Bike:
17.89 miles
1:01:40
17.41 mph

Body Weight:
196.5

No comments: