Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Unexpected Company

Back on my trail bike for a mini tour of Kingwood. Unlike my last bike ride, today I felt more comfortable in the saddle.

I've changed my recording device. The bike computer and GPS greatly differ in the total distance. And honestly, I trust the GPS more.... even if it consistently shows a shorter distance. On today's ride the difference was nearly 1/3 of a mile.

Trail Bike:
8.93 miles
45:06
11.88 mph

My run was a short two-miles, yet I gassed out.

I was wearing a pair of shoes that are well beyond their running mileage. In fact, I retired them months ago. Most of the shoes I retire are still in decent condition, so I use them for other activities like cycling. About a quarter-mile into the run I realized I forgot to change shoes from the bike ride I had just finished. As a safety precaution I ran on the grass next to the greenbelt to minimize any unwanted pounding.

Half a mile into the run I came across a large dog without his owner in sight. He was a huge and gnarly mixed breed dog, but it was obvious he was friendly. I tried shooing him away, but he refused and ran right next to me. I've never been the type that "has to have a dog", which is why I don't understand people and their obsessions with their canine pets.

I'll be the first to admit, it was kind of cool running with a well-behaved dog.

Not sure why, but he had a stub of a tail, maybe 2-inches long. The entire time his little stubby tail was wagging so fast you could almost hear it moving in the air. As he ran next to me he was sticking his chest out, as if he was strutting and proud to be "runner".

Every couple minutes the dog would look up at me for validation. And EVERY time he took his eyes off the trail we bumped into each other. Any other time I would have been frustrated that a dog was interfering with my run, yet I found it comical when our legs got entangled.

Our route was an out and back, so after 1.3 miles I turned around. Interestingly, he stopped running with me at nearly the same spot he joined me. I wonder how far he would have followed me?

My legs were totally dead and I didn't want to run, but my new friend surely kept me entertained.

Unknown dog, "Thank You, it was fun".

Run:
2.21 miles
25:09
11:23 pace

Walk:
0.43 mile
7:06
16:31 pace

Weight:
202.25

Tonight I made the nearly two-hour drive to attend "Math Game Night" at Alison's school. I barely made it in time due to traffic. We had a lot of fun being together, but I'm reminded that I'm likely to miss a lot of school activities due to the distance barrier.

Erin, Andrea, and I worked out the logistics for me to bring Preston home with me. This is going to be a great week!

No comments: