Thursday, January 21, 2010

20 miles in Kingwood

If I were to follow my schedule, I should have run long Tuesday, but I worked. Without hesitation I moved the run to Wednesday. Unfortunately, we had a small automotive emergency Wednesday morning and the run was pushed back to this morning. THANKFULLY, Bob was gracious enough to join me and I finally got it over with.

For some reason I thought we were meeting at my house at 8am, but I actually had told Bob 7am. I was awake, albeit barely, when Bob showed up. Within a few minutes I was dressed and ready to run, but I skipped breakfast.

From my house we ran to East End Park. After two laps in the park, we made our way back home for an even 20-miles.

The first 10-12 miles were smooth and went by fast. After those first twelve "easy miles" I hit a rough spot. I had lots of energy, yet every inch of my legs was aching. It's the same achenes I get on distances over 20-miles and it is the same issue that slowed me down last Sunday. I need to learn to run through this discomfort, but today was not the day. In the last five days I've logged 54 miles, so my legs have a legitimate reason for being sore.

I didn't actually run 20 miles today. Per the training strategy from Rick Cook, I'm trying to concentrate on spending "time on my feet". We ran intervals, which consisted of; one-mile run followed by quarter-mile walks. We did this for the first 15 miles, then we reversed the order because my legs were trashed.

Once I reviewed all the data from my garmin, I see we held decent paces for both the walk and the run. I'm always looking for the good in every run. And as I often say, I learned a lot from this run.

It's unseasonable warm this week. Our 7am departure and route kept us in the shade. The entire run was nice and cool even though the temperature was near 70 when we finished. I always enjoy cooler running weather, but the heat was not a negative factor.

I really appreciate Bob running with me. Not only did his attendance help get me out the door, but he kept me from walking more than I did. Bob is an incredible athlete. At the end he told me he only planned to run three miles, yet he ended up running the entire distance with me. If that's not awesome enough, he did it without a single drink of water. He's a machine!

Run:
13.27 miles
2:30:21
11:19 pace

Walk:
6.74 miles
1:52:18
16:39 pace

Still in a diet funk and the scale is showing it. I'm on and off right now. Not sure what the deal is. I'm always hungry and nothing seems to satisfy my urges. I need to find a way back to managed weight loss and soon!

No comments: