Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pre and a trail run

Shortly after arriving home I was debating whether to run on the treadmill or at the East end park. While looking for clean clothes, Lynn called. That was all the help I needed to hit the park.

My schedule called for four miles. Lynn did a nice job of pacing herself, but the humidity was getting the best of her. She completed 2.25 miles of running. Lynn took advantage of some stretching while I took off down the trail on an out-and-back to finish the remainder of my run.

Something is suspicious with my ankle. No pain, no swelling, no bruising, but something feels.... weird. Some soreness noted during and after the run, but very minor stuff. As a precaution, I'm icing it again tonight and taking some ibuprofen.


Forgot to mention the last fifteen minutes of my run was on dark trails. I consumed enough bugs to skip dinner. Yum, flying bugs!

Activity: Run
Mileage: 4 miles
Time: 50:33 -- 12:38 pace
Location: East end park

Pre is doing fine. For various reasons they had to intubate him again this morning. After his MRI and MR Spectrum, they extubated him, which made me very happy. Tonight they changed his nasal cannula with a low flow meter. The plan is to ween him off the oxygen and see what happens. Late yesterday he was moved to a crib, but was placed back under a warmer because he couldn't maintain his temperature after sedation. He also seems a lot more irritable today. Not sure what to make of that.

Not many results returned from prior test. Rounds with the doctors went well. With a little luck they will remove the nasal gastric tube and allow him to bottle feed tomorrow. Last night they lost his IV during his bath. Now Pre has a new IV in his right foot and a bruise in his right arm as proof of his old IV location.

We also had some visitors today, which was nice.
Stormie Reed, Weston Davis, Chief Outlaw, and EMS Chief Legoudes.

New orders include a sleep apnea test and another EEG of his brain.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Pre...what a guy!

Steeeve

TX Runner Mom said...

Awww, what a cute little guy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,
I keep meaning to drop you a note. Your story with your son is very nearly identical to ours 3 1/2 years ago (yours wasn't premature though, was he? that was part of our issue).

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you. I had a hard time believing everything would be okay (I'd just had a baby and hormones get really messed up then!). Seemed like day after day he'd go through the oxygen thing.

But he's good to go now. Don't be surprised if you do eventually get sent home with some equipment to monitor at home. Honestly, it'll probably ease your nerves so it's all good.

Who knows if it's related, but the ongoing issues we have are treated by his endocrinologist, the ENT peds doc and his asthma doc (the last one isn't TCH though).

All things considered to some of the kids I know you've seen there...pretty minor stuff for us. It's hard to take it more than a day at a time right now I'm sure, just because each day can be different from the day before in terms of progress.

Wishing you the best in continued improvement!

Anonymous said...

I have a question - in a few short years will he be going to "Pre" school?

Steeeve

Anonymous said...

I reckon I'd be pretty irritable too if I had all those people poking and prodding me all day long instead of sleeping in my daddy's arms!

Thanks for the report...still praying for everything going on there!

And Steeeve...that would be "Pre pre-school" wouldn't it?? hahahaha

Pony