Monday, January 26, 2009

Tight Calves and Baseball Tryouts

My calves have been really tight since the race. Last night I slept a full 8-hours, without any change in soreness. This morning I went for a bike ride, hoping to loosen up my legs. Everything except my calves feel better. My calves remain tight.

Trail Bike:
8.19 miles
41:48
11.76 mph

I missed two workouts while in Austin, so I will be doubling up the next two days.

Workout:
Upper
Mid-body

As promised, here is a funny story from yesterday, as told to me by Andrea:

On the bus back to the start line Andrea told me how she was able to drink water at every water station. She proceeded to tell me that at one stop a man was handing out "sticks with stuff on them". She was listening to the people around her and a guy told a group of female runners, "That is gu. It will give you a burst of energy". Well, most of the running world knows that was NOT gu, but rather Vaseline. I know this because I saw the same guy and his numerous jars of Vaseline. Andrea said she saw a couple of the women eating the "Vaseline on a stick". Andrea didn't stop them because she didn't know what it was either and thought, "that doesn't seem right and I'm not eating anything from a stranger that is not packaged". That story cracked me up!

The next story isn't so funny, but it made me think. I often wonder how people feel about the marathon, those that live on the course itself. I've wondered this for lots of races. About halfway into the 3M half marathon, someone spray painted a HUGE message on a wood fence. The note said:
Marathons are for assholes who don't have to ride the bus. All you yuppies can go fuck yourselves.
I was completely shocked to read the sign. There was no way to ignore it, the entire message was about 20' x 5'. Someone stapled a piece of paper to the bottom of the message. It was too small and I didn't want to stop to read it, but I can only assume what it said! I spent the next few miles thinking how I would have responded... That in itself was amusing to me.

I forgot to mention that Alison had baseball tryouts on Saturday. She did a really good job. Thirty minutes after the tryouts one of the coaches found us and told us that Alison has a lot of natural ability. He said she is doing things, which takes most kids a couple years to learn. Erin and I are really proud of her (nothing new).



















3 comments:

Steeeve said...

Hey Dad, quick fix - reverse the order of the hands on the bat in photo 4. I, of course, speak from brutal experience on that one.

Humble Runner said...

I noticed that too. The coach sitting behind the plate asked her if she ever played baseball before. When she answered no, he started giving her advice. In the beginning she had her hands right and was choked up on the bat. For some reason he moved her hands ( he did this from behind her). The changes made her nervous. Not sure what the deal was. At home she was hitting like Babe Ruth. Even at tryouts she tipped every ball.

Unknown said...

I ran and saw that sign and it made me laugh...I would give so much for a picture of that!