Monday, January 05, 2009

Membership

Too cold to ride my bike. I donned 3-shirts, 2 shorts, hat, and gloves, yet only made it 1/4 mile before calling it quits. An hour later I bundled up and took Lulu for a 3-mile walk.

Walk:
3.01 miles
50:18

Lower-body workout

Talked to the people at Gold's Gym about a membership in Kingwood. Am I the only one that feels like I'm buying a used car when trying to sign up for a membership? They kept throwing all kinds of numbers (contract terms) at me, which was nothing more than smoke & mirrors. I added all their fees and divided by a given number of months, which gave me a unit price. Most of the terms we're within the same price range, although they gave the impression one deal was SO much better than another. I also noticed all the sales team people seemed to be 'pretty people' with more experience in sales than fitness. After a few minutes of their dog & pony show, I started treating them like a used car dealership. I was surprised that it actually worked; I made some advances and the unit price made a drastic drop. I found it comical when she would say, "I'll be right back, I need to go talk to my manager about this deal". The manager was located in an all glass room a short distance away... just like a used car lot showroom! They offered me a decent price if I paid the entire membership up front. The final number the manager gave me was 'suppose' to be everything, including fees and taxes. We completed all the paperwork and the manager shook our hands and welcomed us to the club. The manager took the sales pitch too far and told us, "Don't tell your friends or family we offered you this price, because I'm not suppose to be signing these kind of deals". When the salesperson went to charge the debit card the NEW amount was about 100-bucks more than quoted. The new increase was tax. I tried explaining that our conversation 10-minutes prior stated EVERYTHING was included, a complete and final walkout price. I told them this was a deal breaker. They stood their ground, as did I. I kept wondering is they would chase me down in the parking lot and offer me a counter offer, like a used car salesman. They didn't and now I don't have a membership. Guess I'll stick to my trusty old barbells in my garage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bill have you considered the Y? Lake Houston Pkwy, used to have a pretty good facility.

When Rob and I lived in Kingwood, we were members at the Athletic Club. I don't know if they are even still in business, though.


Cyndie Keene

TX Runner Mom said...

That's exactly why I hate the gym! I'm thinking of going with the Y as well.

K said...

I've had memberships in both types of places. The Y is getting pretty pricey and their hours are more limited, especially on Sat and Sun.

It is definitely a sales pitch. You did the right thing.

You've been doing a great job outside of a gym. Keep it up!!