Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gimme Some Sugar 10k

My initial plans was to cycle 60-miles in Katy at the "Pedaling the Prairie" tour. The weather forecast seemed uncertain, so we opted for a running event. With only a couple options to pick from, we naturally choose the closest.

Andrea and I ran the inaugural "Gimme Some Sugar" 5k & 10k. The course was a lot better than I expected. We ran the outside perimeter roads of the Sam Houston Horse track. The 5k route was a single loop and 10k participants simply added a second loop.

At first the race seemed very small, maybe less than 100 people, but closer to the start time the numbers grew to approximately 250-400 people. Looking at the times it appears the majority of the people ran the longer race.

Fellow Strider's Steve Bezner and Ruben were also in attendance. Not sure about Steve's performance, but Ruben placed in his age group, even after a small error. Funny story; About half a mile into the race I saw Ruben running in the opposite direction wearing his sweat pants and wind jacket. Ruben was out running a warm-up and thought the start time was 8am and not 7:30. Ruben ran to his car, changed clothes, ran to the start line, and STILL won 2nd place. In reality, Ruben CLEARLY won his age group, but the race results awarded gun time, not chip time for overall winners.

It was a good race. I ran an 8.5-9 effort and stayed inside my comfort zone. I ran by feel this morning, which resulted in a lot more running than walking.

Run:
10k
1:04:24
10:22 pace

Andrea also had a good race. She said she wasn't in top form, but felt good nonetheless. Andrea told me she wishes she would have run the 5k. After looking closer at the results she would have easily placed in her age bracket for the 5k. It seemed every woman there was in her age bracket and running the 10k.

Andrea finished 9th out of ~30 runners.

Andrea Run:
10k
57:21
9:14 pace

It was hard, but I still got my ass in the gym. I was lacking both energy and motivation after the race.

Workout:
Upper and Lower body

1 comment:

Steve Bezner said...

Nice to see you out there this morning. Sorry we didn't stick around, but we had kids at home.

Amy ran well walked, her 1st 5k and I placed 2nd in my age group.

Cheers!