Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Alison Runs

Alison is always asking me to take her running. I've looked for information about advantages and disadvantages of running at her age. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information out there.

When we run together, I always allow her to dictate the effort level, although I try to keep her at an even pace. Most kids want to run "all-out", stop, then run "all-out" again. Alison is very disciplined at maintaining a consistent pace.

Today we walked a quarter-mile before starting our run. We ran, or I should say, I ran 1/2-mile. Alison ran in front of me with very little effort. On the way back home I walked a swift half-mile, which resulted in her jogging beside me. So, essentially she ran one-mile. Then we slowed down for the last quarter-mile and walked hand-in-hand the rest of the way home.

We both enjoy these moments. With any luck, her desire to run will continue and maybe help get dad out the door when he doesn't feel like it!

Walk: 1 mile, ~16:00 minute pace
Run: 0.50 mile, 5:43, (11:22 pace)

Afterwards I did a mid-body workout, followed by 33 push-ups.


No comments: