Thursday, November 29, 2007

3 x 300/240... its harder than it sounds

As I was looking over the schedule last night I saw:
SW, 3 x 300/240 at 5k race pace, 2 CD.
My initial thought was, "Easy workout". Boy, was I wrong. Those 5 minute segments seem like a lifetime when you're holding an uncomfortable pace.

Shifting gears, whats up with the GPS signal? Is anyone else having problems this week? Its been acting crazy on my last two runs. Time to check for software updates! I had to ride my bike and measure one section of the course which I was uncertain about. For what its worth, another 3.3 miles on the bike.

Back to the run. I started out at the East End Park. My legs were begging for a more forgiving surface. Workers are building new trails and new wood bridges over additonal low spots, which made for a lot of dead-end trails (closed for construction) and mud. I did my warm up and Silly walks at the park, but finished the run in Trailwood Village. Here's a summary of the run:

2.9 mile warm up in 37:08. 12:49 pace
Full Silly Walk session
3 x 300/240. I hammered the run and walked the recoveries.
average run pace, 9:02
average walk pace, 17:23
1 mile cool down in 11:36

TOTAL MILEAGE, 6.25 miles
TOTAL RUN PACE, 12:07

Same as last weeks run, I faded in the cool down. I ran an extra mile on the warm up, so I knew I wasn't going to run a 2 mile cool down. It was tough, so much so that I had to stop a couple of times and catch my breath.

1 comment:

Steeeve said...

Yeah, we call 'em "Jack Repeats" because 5 minutes is Jack Daniels' preferred interval. They hurt.