Sunday, November 18, 2007

Running

Co-worker & friend Sean McDowell and I had a long discussion about different training programs. He was looking at Higdon's program, but there was something missing. I mentioned and recommend a performance-based program such as; Owen Anderson, Pete Pfitzinger, Steeeve Shepard, or Jack Daniels. Even though I'm not doing much running myself, it was a lot of fun to talk about it and have his undivided attention.

Sean is full of raw running talent. His first and ONLY race was the Sunmart 50k, where he finished in 5 hours flat. After a brief description of "performance-based" programs, he decided to do a TLT Saturday and a 6 mile recovery run Sunday. I sent him a text this afternoon, asking how his run went and my jaw hit the floor when he replied:

Track-long-track:
2 miles at 8:30 pace (warm up)
3 miles at 6:55 pace
9 miles at 8:30 pace
1 mile at 7:00 pace

Recovery run
6 miles in 46 minutes

Talk about impressive. He went as far as saying the TLT was, FUN. Now, I gotta find a way to make this stud a HOUSTON STRIDER.

Erin ran today. She ran while her mother followed her on a bicycle. They started at home and proceeded to HEB at Town Square, which is a six mile round trip. She wore my garmin, but all she did was turn it on when she started and off when she finished. The garmin showed a 14:03 pace. I thought that was a little slow for her, but she reminded me she did a little shopping at HEB. In other words, wow. Reminds me of the Meb commercial, where he's racing and stopping in at a corner store.

And finally, I ran. Five miles in 1:05:48. All concrete.... and I can feel it. Run 10 minutes, walk 5 minutes. Overall pace, 13:11.

1 comment:

Pony and Petey said...

Loved reading this all-about-running post = ))