Monday, September 01, 2008

Fired Up 5k

Almost flaked on the Fired Up 5k. Technically, you could still say I flaked, since I didn't "race" this morning. This is the home of my PR and therefore is one of my favorite Houston area races. Unfortunately, it's nearly one-hour from Kingwood. With Andrea and both kids in tow, I had to wake up at 4:30... and we still barely made it there in time. After registering, we started wondering how we were going to logistically run the race with the kids. Alison is a great runner, but 3-miles is out of her range. We decided to run the family 1.5 mile/run-walk.

As soon as the 5k runners were passing the finish line, we changed our mind again. We took off walking behind them and decided to start "running" after we reached the 1-mile marker. Andrea and I started running, while Alison and Preston hitched a ride on the stroller. With about 1.5 miles to the finish, Alison jumped out and ran the rest of the way in. My schedule called for 2 miles at 12:15 pace. I was dead-on pace.

Alison and Andrea finished ahead of me. That little girl makes me so proud. She was excited to run. It broke my heart, because she put it all out there, she maintained a nice consistent pace with a GREAT finish line kick. She was disappointed she didn't get a "finishers metal", like most kid races give out. She asked me over and over to check the results to see if she won anything. We spent the next few hours telling and showing her how proud we are of her. Even got her mother to call and tell her she was proud of her. After a few hours we finally pulled her out of her slump. It is hard for her juvenile mind to process that she passed 20-30 people without a single runner passing her and she received nothing for her effort. I suppose there was a life lesson to be learned this morning.

Saw lots of Strider buds; Steve, Lou, Barry, Chris, Tim, and a lot others... my mind is fuzzy.

69 push-ups. I've DEFINITELY stopped liking the push-up challenge!

Run: 2.11 miles, 25:51, (12:15 pace)






No comments: