Saturday, February 10, 2007

One more comment about P2P

I forgot to mention the highlight of today's race.

Last week I had a good race at BW 6k. I did well partly because I ran 10-20 yards behind Lisa Foronda. She looks as good coming, as she does going.... TRUST ME.

Today I ran a good race behind another girl, but not for the same reasons. I found myself trying to keep up with this "girl" for the first three miles. Not just any girl.... a very young girl. I assumed she was five years old, maybe six. Two things struck me odd. One: Holy shit that girl is running fast. Two: She looks just like Alison.

The bottom line; she ran an 8:10-8:30 pace before she backed off in the last mile. Beautiful, clean stride. I checked her results on RTN. Her name is Rachel Flam from Houston and she is seven years old. Keep your eyes one her. We all may have just met a future Olympian! Did I mention she finished in 43:36 -- 8:42 pace and that's her gun time, not chip time! Needless to say she won her 14 and younger female age bracket. Her closest competitor was 13 years old and 11 minutes behind her!

She looked so similar to my daughter, EVERYONE was complimenting Alison and telling her how proud/inspired they were. It took me a few times to realize they were talking about the other girl.

This may have been the coolest thing I have ever seen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiration comes in so many different shapes and sizes!! Awesome job Bill!! Your awesome start to '07 is pretty inspiring!

The Williams Family said...

Cool blog. I'm also in Kingwood and started running last year for weight loss benefits. I keep signing up for events just to keep me running during the week. Did the P2P in 52:39.7. Last May at my first ever race I did 5 miles in 56:31, so I'm pretty pleased in my progress. Seeing blogs like yours only motivates me more.

Keep it up brother.