Saturday, February 03, 2007

Buffalo Wallow

Activity: Race
Mileage: 3.88 miles
Time: 33:28 -- 8:38 pace
8:28, 8:47, 8:59, 7:14 (0.88 mile)
Location: Houston, TX

Activity: Weight Training
Body Region: Lower
Time: 30 minutes
Location: Home Gym

Nice day to run. Bettered my time by 15 minutes from last year. Competition was fierce. My 8:38 pace for good enough for last place in my age bracket.

Kevin joined both HARRA and the Houston Striders. Welcome!

Picked up my Ironfoot award (socks, again). I wish HARRA did more for the Ironfoot winners. While I might not be fast, I'm persistent. Its a large accomplishment for me to win anything. I'm not looking for a Main Street parade, but come on already. Today was similar to last year when I won. After finally finding the right person, I was told, "Grab a pair of socks out of the grocery sack and sign here". Makes me care less about their lil' Ironfoot award.

Kevin and I drove around Houston, signing up for our next two races, Park to Park 5 mile, and Rodeo 10k. I can't wait.

8 comments:

Junie B said...

dang you were haulin' ass!!!

Anonymous said...

That is one hell of a great photo! Congratulations on a real fine race.

Steeeve

Pony and Petey said...

That's a great shot of you and an AMAZING effort in the race...I had no idea you were running that fast when I was cheering you on! YOU are speedy!!!

Did you clean up Sunny? You know... your shoes???

Pony = )

Crosstrain said...

You are a fast sprinter as well as a long distance runner. Way to finish.

Unknown said...

That's one of the best race pictures I've ever seen. Way to smoke it.

Sarah said...

Helpful comment on the Ironfoot stuff, I'll make sure it gets heard.

Unknown said...

Crap!!! I didn't know they were handing out IronFoot awards!!! I would have taken my socks proudly. Is there really ANYTHING they could hand out that would be a sufficient award for all the hard work and hard racing we put in? I doubt it. The socks are fine with me.

Humble Runner said...

Vic, it has little to do with what I receive and more about how it’s presented. You are a perfect example. You’re an Ironfoot winner and didn’t know they were handing out the socks. It’s the little things. The competition has been over for more than 3-weeks. Anyone have a clue who ran the entire Fall series? Its not a big list to compile. My guess is less than a hundred folks? I haven't seen it published anywhere.

It’s a personal pet peeve. It could and SHOULD be so much more. HARRA is missing a huge opportunity to spot light itself and the running scene to new runners.

One might say, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. I’ve done little more than bitch about it. For that reason, I’m disappointed in myself. Wish I had more time to volunteer my help. These comments are in NO WAY an attack on any of the gracious HARRA volunteers. Simply my observation and opinions.

Check out the RunHouston blog. Another local runner has made similar (but different) comments.