Monday, April 09, 2007

Updating a near-dead blog

Its been more than a week, which means it is time to update the ole blog.

No running whatsoever. Two 30 minute rides on the stationary bike. Two "real" bike rides. Both sessions about 12-15 miles. I don't remember the exact distances anymore. Also a couple weight training days. Nothing serious.

Last Thursday I went to see a new doctor. His diagnosis was "obvious torn cartilage". I have seen three different people (Koala, Dr. Mack, and Dr. Muscat) and been given three different diagnosis. The pain is not going away so I've decided to take the next step and let them do whatever is needed to get me back on the road. Something is not right. At one point during the examination he palpated an area near my patella and I nearly came off the table. That shit hurt!

Dr. Muscat gave me two options. 1) try six weeks of physical therapy and ease back into running. OR 2) Schedule an MRI and see what the problem is. I chose option two, because frankly, I think tendinitis would have healed by now. Dr Muscat thinks the occasional left knee pain is compensatory pain and not worthy of a scan.
After the MRI is interpreted we will schedule (what he called) a Knee Repair Module. Doc ok'd me to do anything to the point of pain... even running. He used the following example; Run until the knee starts bothering you, then stop, walk home, and RICE. I tried his example at work and only made it ~100 yards before the knee was uncomfortable.

Ironically, the knee has been silent the last two days. There again, all I'm doing is sitting on my fat ass. Not much knee action involved with extended couch time. Speaking of "Behind", a few minutes ago I read Vic's blog. Joking with ya big guy! Often Vic and I are on the same wave length, although I whine about stupid stuff a lot more. Wish I had his positive outlook on the little things. Anyways, he summed up how I feel perfectly. Check out his blog.... its a waay good post!

Has blogging peaked? Seems that most running blogs are fading, including this one. Weird, huh? Good thing we still have die-hard bloggers like July Bug and Sarah to keep us entertained! There are so many Houston Strider Bloggers, the club should consider a new annual award; "Running Blog of the Year". That might drum up business for club bloggers to post more and possibly find a couple newbies. When you Google "Houston Striders" a vast number of the hits are from various blog postings. I guess what I'm trying to say is, blogs that mention our club share a mutual relationship with benefits for both parties.
Sorry, I'm thinking out loud. Its just an idea.

In other news: Not trying to put the cart ahead of the horse, but things are going well with Erin. We're enjoying time together and being good friends. I may have let my running and weight slip, but 'I'm staying the course' with my family. That is what really matters to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea about Strider blog of the year! Agree blogging appears cyclical and agree choosing one for recognition would be way tough (but choosing winners of all our awards is way tough).

Steeeve

Sarah said...

No worries, my blog isn't going anywhere. I feel weird when I don't post! :)

TX Runner Mom said...

I plan to stick around with the blogging too, although my posts have been sporadic lately. Sorry about the knee, but glad things are going well with the family!

Pony and Petey said...

I have to blog every day or Petey's mom thinks I died! hahahaha

Glad to hear you're getting treatment for your knee. The doc's advice is word-for-word what Coach Pizza told me with my knee trouble after my first marathon.

Thanks for the update...really glad to hear about things with Erin! When's that baby boy due again???

Humble Runner said...

Baby "Garret Wayne" due July 13th.

Steve Bezner said...

That's an awesome name!

Thanks for the update, hang in there!