Monday, April 16, 2007

Its never simple

Received a phone call from Dr. Muscat today. He told me he was reviewing my case and looking over my MRI. During Friday's appointment, he referenced the transcription made by another doctor and not the actual MRI.

There is some paraphrasing here, but the conversation went something like this....

"Mr. Cox, I'd like to get a second MRI of your knee. This time I'm ordering the test with contrast. Your pain and history are not matching the injuries. I'm concerned with the possibility of a cyst. In rare cases, you can develop small tears on a tendon and the body responds with a fluid pocket around the area. Some cyst go away with time, but frequently they don't. The fluid pocket is further irritated by use of the joint. My assessment plus your description of signs and symptoms would better be explained by a cyst. An MRI with contrast will help us know what we are up against"

Once again, another diagnosis. Actually it was listed in the MRI result as a " rare possibility".

I did a little web-searching and came across a decent article about ganglion cyst. Its worth your time to read. Both informative and entertaining (they explain how ganglion cyst got the nickname of, "bible bumps"). The most insightful part was:

"The cause is unknown. No one knows what causes a ganglion cyst to form. Some of the theories include:
The body responds to injury, trauma or overuse by forming an internal 'blister'. "

No comments: