Saturday, April 28, 2007

Bayou Bash relay

Heard a lot of talk about the distance of today's race. Runners with GPS units seemed to consistently read 2.11 miles. My garmin registered 2.10 miles.

My teammates included: A-leg: Dusty Cook, B-leg: George Moriarty, C-leg: Vic Kaiser, and D-leg: Bill Cox

Overall team time: 1:28:32 (11:04 pace)
My time: 19:28 for 2.10 miles. 9:16 overall pace.

Notes about the run:
  • Zero knee pain. This is complicating matters. Part of me wants to cancel the surgery.
  • Weather was awesome.
  • I only dropped back ~10 seconds between mile one and mile two.
  • I had a hard time breathing, as a result of poor cardiovascular fitness.
  • Didn't finish hard. I couldn't see anyone ahead or behind me, so I took the easy road. Simply cruised into the finish line at a maintainable pace.

Kudos to the Houston Striders. 100 runners in attendance! Seemed everyone had a good run. Super congrats to JulyBug on her first sub-9:00 minute mile. Kevin Cox ran two, sub 8:30 minute miles. Steve Bezner ran a 6:30 and 6:40 respectively. Those are some freaking' awesome times! The comment of the morning came from Strider favorite, Ruben Coryat. I asked Ruben how he did on the race. His reply; "I had a good exchange from the c-runner. I ran as hard as I could all the way to the finish line. I wasn't wearing a watch, but my legs feel like it was a good run."

Gotta get back to the Penn relays on ESPN.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great summary, Willie, and great running. I'm no Doctor, but nobody cuts on me unless I'm absolutely sure it's necessary.

Steeeve

TX Runner Mom said...

Awesome job on the relay! I don't know what to say about that knee, except that I'm glad it didn't give you any trouble today!

Unknown said...

It was great to see you out there and an honor to hand off the baton to such a speedy guy.

In the words of Rocy, "You gotta cut me, Mick!" I say go for it. Having a bionic knee would be cool. Just kidding! I don't envy your dilemma. Tough decision.