Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What the HELL happened?

I don't want this to turn into a bitch session, but today's run SUCKED!

Let me start from the beginning. I devised a four mile loop in the neighborhood, which has a small "roll" to it. I planned on running three loops. Essentially, I was switching Tuesday and Wednesdays SMART training and planned on upping the ante with a 12-mile mid-week run.

Anyways, the first loop (4 miles) was perfect. No effort at all. Just jamming with the ipod. Hot, but an occasional breeze seemed to make it tolerable. Finishing the first loop put me in front of my house. I took advantage and refilled my water bottle.

Then the shit hit the fan. First minor problem was the ipod. It just QUIT. No big deal, I took it off and left it at home. So, I took off on loop number two. The heat hit me immediatley. It felt like it was mid July at high-noon. I was sweating so bad it was burning my eyes. I thought it might simpliy be my imagination, but I could actually feel water slooshing in my shoes. As if that wasn't enough, I just couldn't move forward. It felt like I was pulling my truck with a rope.

Mile five, nausea. It got bad. I ended up stopping every half mile because I felt like shit. Some how, some way, I finished the second loop. I came into the house to cool off. Decided to try a GU and some cold water. The combination seemed to help the nausea, but I still felt bad. Determined to finish at LEAST ten miles I devised a new one-mile route around the house that would be safer, if things got ugly.

The third time out was a series of running and walking. I was forced to walk because I was lightheaded. I finished, but that's all I accomplished on this run.

I thought the worst of it was over. Oooooh no, I did some stretching and jumped in the shower. That's when I realized I had some chaffing issues. This time I took chaffing to a whole new level. When the water hit me, I nearly woke up Erin and Alison.

OK, I'm done complaining. Glad this run is over!

Activity: Long run
Mileage: 10 miles
Time: 1:53:42 -- 11:22 pace
Location: Kingwood - Trailwood and Kings Lake Villages
How I Felt: 4

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bill, I had a similar outing about 4 or 5 weeks ago. But I quit after 1.5 miles and I didn't even post it on the blog. The next day, I ran well.

Anonymous said...

I think yesterday had a similar effect on lots of others (to varying degrees). I barely made it through the warmup yesterday - I was feeling light headed and was seeing stars. Others I ran with yesterday felt similar.
Good job on perservering and getting your miles in! Your mental toughness will do you well come miles 20+!!

Anonymous said...

Yep summer was back yesterday, if not for a brief amount of time. No worries, come out to boot camp on Thursday and the temperatures will be much cooler!