Saturday, November 18, 2006

Say what?

Below is correspondence I had with my running Coach yesterday. To reduce its overall length, some sentences are paraphrased. I also omitted a lot of the "clutter".

Me: How bad of an idea is it to run 12 miles the day before Sundays 25k. If it is not too horrible of an idea, please give me a strategy for running both.

Coach: Really, really bad idea to run 12 miles tomorrow. You need to prepare and focus on your own race. Sorry for the quick response.

Me (2nd email): The SMART schedule calls for 4-miles tomorrow. What's the most you recommend running tomorrow. I feel good. Plus, I really want to pile on the mileage I missed earlier this month.

Coach: 36 hours before the longest race of your life is not a good time to pile on mileage! If you want to do extras next week, so be it. The best thing you can do for your marathon is prepare for the race Sunday.


All that and I still did extra mileage. SORRY COACH. No purposeful intention of going against Coaches advice, but it just happened. Sean and I measured out a 26 mile course for him. I planned to join him five miles from the finish line. Originally I wanted to run the second half with him, yet decided to adhere to the coaches response. Anyways the mileage came up 1.5 miles longer than expected.

I felt really good. No damage done with the exception of disobedience to coaches advice. You'll forgive me, right Coach?

For those wondering, Sean ran 30 miles in 4:00 hours, including restroom/water/traffic stops. I slowed him down for the final 6.5 miles. He's a machine.

Activity: Run
Mileage: 6.5 miles
Time: 1:05:33 -- 10:05 pace
Splits:
10:31, 10:19, 10:41, 9:53, 10:15, 9:20, 4:34 (0.50 mile)
Location: Kingwood
How I Felt: 10

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, that's a sub 8:00 min/mile for 30 miles!

Sign him up for the Striders!

Good Luck tommorow Bill!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Steve! That is a solid run!!

I cannot wait to see you tearing it up out there Bill! Your confidence is definately where you want it to be right now!! Time to grip it 'n rip it! (or, if you have another favorite cliche, please enter it here...)

Unknown said...

If you're gonna be rebellious, at least do it in secret. For goodness' sake Bill, now Coach is gonna know you were a bad, bad boy. You're my hero, Bill, but you're on your own with this one. I can't stand behind you for fear of obvious repercussions.

SRR said...

Yeah! You are back and I feel caught up now!

Anonymous said...

Yo Rebelious Willie, this is one hilarious post. Looks like you were able to get in some extras and still have a fine race this morning, well done!

PS - neat how you edited out all
of the &#%$& and )_*)(* from our
dialogue :-)

Steeeve