Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Special Running Guest

Bill Cox and long time friend, Marshall Ulrich

Just kidding about the long time friend part. I met Marshall last night, at this months formal Strider meeting. This is one-cool-dude. He redefines; Been there, done that. As a VERY SMALL recap, his accomplishments include, but are not limited to:
  • Mountaineered to the highest summit of each continent
  • Participant of all nine Eco-challenge adventure races
  • 116 ultra races, averaging more than 100 miles each
  • Crossed Death Valley 19 times, including a solo and quad
  • Four Badwater WINS

Yeah there's a lot more, but you get the point. This morning Marshall lead the way for an easy 9:00 minute pace. If you've been watching MY pace, you'll understand why this run was far from easy for me. It felt good to get my butt kicked. Coach Steeve always does an excellent job of occupying my mind when I'm struggling and I thank him for that.

After the five miles at Memorial, I had business to do near Chimney Rock. I was early, so I put the garmin back on and took off down the road. I was surprised to look up and see Matt Wrights Barber shop. I had hoped to get some water, but he was not there. Must be nice being the BOSS! The lady there seemed surprised to see a sweaty fat-man walk through the door, so I asked her to tell Matt I stopped by and then was on my way again.

The leg pain has disappeared. I'm glad, because several people had me worrying about it. Its time to get back on some type of diet. Why does food have to taste so damn good?

Hearing Marshall speak about his accomplishments makes what I do seem not worthy. Only if the Striders met in North Houston..... I could be SOMEBODY. ;-)

As a General Public Service Announcement: David Minkin ROCKS!

Activity: Run
Mileage: 7.37 miles
Time: 1:10:15 -- 9:32 pace
Location: Memorial park and Along Chimney Rock
How I Felt: 9.8

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...only in the pink shirt!
:)
ps - the feeling is mutual...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that David guy is one cool dude!

Let's be like Dave!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the love guys - but you two, Vic and Rube are usually my "go-to" success stories when people tell me that they cannot run (enter excuse here). I know there are many, many, many other success stories (enter # of striders here - I will defer that to Steeeve) in the strider nation, but even I can only talk so much! So, I argue that I tell many non-striders to be more like you guys. Keep it up and keep looking for that awesome Strider motivation all around us! Now that Marshal is gone it is back to inspiring each other to get through the daily grind!

Unknown said...

Bill, I was just thinking on the way to work after this morning's run. No offense to Marshall because he is an incredible athlete and the things he has accomplished have been amazing. AND, I know he has done so much for other people and for charity. But I have so many heroes right here in Houston and you are really one of them. I kind of feel like you have "gone before me" and done the hard work. I showed your before and after photos to my kids and say, "See, that's what I'm trying to do. They go, "Wow, that guy lost a lot of weight." Then I tell them what a good runner you are and they think that's cool.

Anyway, heroes like you and Steve B. and Steeeve and Andrea, and..... are heroes to me because you care. You are genuinely humble about your accomplishments and you just try to encouarage and motivate those around you. What you do is BIG!!! Thanks, bud.

Humble Runner said...

Thanks, Vic. As a man that tries NOT to show much emotion.... you got me.

There is so much more I can do for my running and for myself (diet). I'm often disappointed in my short comings, but I try not to spend much time on any one issue.

It's really nice to know that you are inspired by anything I do. In my eyes, Steve Bezner is the inspiration godfather, but in the VERY NEAR FUTRUE he'll need to make room on his throne for you.

Ask Coach and he'll tell anyone that we are in the "fat curve" of our training. Your weekly progress simply amazes me. The good news is there is no end in site for you!

Vic thanks for being you. All I ask is that you don’t forget about us "back of the pack" runners when you’re less than 200 lbs and winning hardware.