Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday Biking

First opportunity to ride my new bike.

The new in-line brakes are perfect and make for an enjoyable ride. Actually the first three miles sucked. I couldn't maintain any speed and I was tiring faster than normal. I knew something was not right, so I pulled over to check everything out. I was relieved to find the problem was minor.... the front brake pad was rubbing against the wheel set. Upon closer inspection, it had rubbed hard enough to cover the front right fork in brake dust. After I made a small adjustment the ride was like greased lighting. At the stop my average speed was 12.9 mph, which I improved to 14.3 mph. I can only assume my average pace would have been greater than 15 mph without the problem.

Stuff I like better about my new bike:

  • Seat is more comfortable.
  • More control in turns.
  • A lot better braking.
  • Faster speed in smaller gears.
My stats:
Mileage: 15.03 miles
Time: 1:03:00 -- 14.3 mph

Erin Stats:
Mileage: Unknown
Time: 30 minutes

Erin said she pushed harder than her usual leisure ride, which was evident by the amount of sweat pouring off her when she returned home.

No comments: