Sunday, August 19, 2007

We Started!

Erin and I officially started training for the Houston half-marathon today. Both of us ran on the streets of Kingwood after dark.

My stats:
Mileage: 1.5 miles
Time: 15:03 -- 10:02 pace

Erin stats:
Mileage: 1.44 miles
Time: Unknown

You'll see lots of changes in this blog, while I determine what I want and do not want.

Last night I stayed up for more than 2-hours working on a generic running schedule. I've read enough to know the basics, so I decided to design a program to fit our hectic life.

The base is three days of running. Each weekend will include a long run. The second run of the week will be 50% of the long run distance. The third run will be some type of quality run, such as 30/30's, tempo, or 400's at the track. Most of the speed work will be short and fun, yet performance based.

Four weeks of ramping up will be followed by a recovery week. Normally this would be every third week, but the mileage is low, so our bodies won't need as much recovery.

Erin will add one day of leisure biking to complete four days of exercise. I'll add two days of cycling. One will be 15-25 miles with some speed play and the other will be 40+ miles. Cycling will also ramp up, with the exception of recovery weeks.... which has no cycling for Erin and only one ride for me.

No comments: