Monday, March 26, 2007

Brief update

What have I done this week? Hmmmm let's see.... First of all: Knee pain SUCKS. Excuse me, I needed to get that out of the way. OK, back to my week.

Wednesday I ran an abbreviated 30/30 workout. Nearly died after a mere six sets. Only managed to log two miles that day. Nada-thing Thursday and Friday. Saturday I ran one mile with Alison.

Quick story:
This weekend we went to Austin to run the Capital Statesman 10,000. Saturday morning, Alison ran the kids one-mile race. I stayed behind her the whole way and just let her run. From the start she established a consistent pace and maintained it the entire time WITHOUT STOPPING. I was shocked as anyone when she clocked a 10:16 mile! Can you believe a 5-year-old can run a 10:00 minute mile? I'm soooooo proud of her.

Sunday I ran the 10k. I love the Cap10k race. The hoopla and crowd support is AWESOME, but it wasn't enough to make me any faster. The hills were gruesome and reduced me to a run/walk regimen. The Austin scenery is great, but Sunday morning the humidity was god-awful. Later that night, my legs felt similar to the post marathon achenes I remember from January.
You probably want to know my time, huh. Well, 1:09:xx. Slowest 10k time I've ever run. With all the frustration of the knee pain, I finally located a road bike I could afford. Cycling doesn't hurt whatsoever. Its boring as hell, but it at least it is pain-free.

Back to my week. My buddy Wyatt and I went bike riding today. We went from my house to a park which has gravel trails, so I had to utilize my mountain bike. It was odd to leave my brand new bike at home! We logged 16.5 miles. I don't know the time. We stopped for a lot of red lights and even rode to a restaurant for lunch.

I can't say which way my training is heading. The desire is there, but the ability is the missing key component. Coach Steeeve went way out of his way (which is nothing new for him) to build me a custom schedule. I'm trying to follow it, but the bum knee is stopping me from following it 100%.





5 comments:

Pony and Petey said...

YOWZA!! Running a mile without stopping is a great achievement for anyone but especially for a 5 year old! And what a time...that's truly impressive!! What a cutie she is...takes after her daddy = )

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Alison and you for staying motivated. Matt W.....

Sarah said...

Cool news on the new bike! Maybe a tri in your future this summer?

WalkSports.com said...

If it is any consolation, Bill, the one year that I did the Capitol 10K, the course was brutal and so was the humidity.

I think it was in '04.

And, unfortunately, I won't be able to be in town for the LP run for you and Joe to take me to town again. :)

Besides, I figured I'd line up in the 40-and-over this year instead of having to stand out there on the track against Armenteros, et. al.

TX Runner Mom said...

Great pics of Alison! Congrats to her for completing her 1st race!