Tuesday, March 13, 2007

5K

I never know my running ability from day-to-day. Yesterday's 11:00 minute pace for two miles beat the shit out of me, yet today I ran a 5k in 28:37. Go figure?!?!?!

The race was a Houston Strider novelty run with a Shepard-twist. We met at Bear Creek Park and all 29 runners were handicapped based on their current 5k ability. Coach Steeve translated the predicted times into staggered starts.
Due to my lack of running and general fitness level I opted for an 11:00 mile pace, which was later labeled "the night's biggest lie". I was second to start with a three-minute handicap. I pushed Alison in her stroller. Surprisingly the knees behaved themselves, merely minor discomfort during this run. The course measured ~3.2 miles, but I shut down at the 5k mark. From there I let Alison out of the stroller and followed her lead to the finish line.
The run was concluded with a club sponsored meal at The Great Charcoal Chicken. Man, I love that place. Alison and I both had a good time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you got Strider pipped...!!!

Great seeing you last night...pinnochio nose and all!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we need a new term for when you get Strider-pipped by your own daughter :-)

You and Carlos A. were *** fierce *** pushing the youngun's around the course last night. Full marks!

Steeeve

Junie B said...

I hate that I missed the novelty run and seeing you as well! Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Pony and Petey said...

It was great to see you and Alison, as always! Glad she had fun at the kids table and little b'day party = )

And I'm SUPER glad ya'll made it home safely!! I was hoping to see a post by you this morning to know that you're still alive!

TX Runner Mom said...

Sounds like a fun run! Mmm...Charcoal Chicken!