Saturday, September 01, 2007

bike and a conversation

My legs took a whooping from the Thursday 30/30 workout. It's funny that I'm sore from 6-minutes of running! Either way, I felt it on today's ride.

Steve Cantu and I rode a different route, which took us over the Lake Houston bridge twice. Apparently there was a head wind, because it was all I could do to maintain 12 mph on the out bound trip. The ride was uneventful. I didn't feel like riding due to an upset stomach, but it dissipated half way into the ride.

Stats:
Mileage: 31.11 miles
Time: 2:07:22 -- 14.66 mph

Erin rode her bike around the neighborhood last night.

Erin Stats:
Mileage: Unknown
Time: 30 minutes

Steve and I had an interesting conversation near the end of the ride. He asked me if I was dieting. I told him, "No, don't you see how I eat around the station?". He's a good friend, so I elaborated a bit and told him that I've been posting gains for more weeks than I care to count. Steve followed my confession by asking, "Why do you think you are gaining weight? Are you eating bad?". I quickly replied back, "Absolutely. Lately, everything I eat is a poor choice". Then the meat of the conversation started (and ended). Steve said, " QUIT IT! Don't eat bad stuff and you'll stop gaining weight". I thought to myself... NO SHIT, SHERLOCK!

Well, I pretty much stopped talking after that. I spent the final three miles thinking how I know as much or probably more about nutrition than the average person. I can tell you what to eat, when to eat it, and why. I also kept thinking; its 7:30 am, I'm on a 31 mile bike ride, and all I ate for breakfast was a Slimfast. Maybe that's why I was so offended. Its not like I don't try. My issue is, as is many others.... the behavioral relationship I have with food.

This is one of those post I make and wonder why. I guess I have a point to make. Rather, I have a point I want heard. ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE. If you maintain your weight with ease, consider yourself lucky. For some of us, food is a vice. Some people smoke, some snort cocaine, while others drink, but I eat. On good days its easy, but most days are not. If you've known me for any length of time you have seen my struggles.

Consider this: When a person has a problem, they might not be looking for answers. More times than none, they simply want someone to listen and possibly sympathize with the issue. As I sit here typing I wonder what the correct response from Steve should have been. Maybe something like this:

It must be tough struggling with food issues. I never thought about that, but I got an idea that might help. When we're on duty, we can prepare healthier meals as a group and start keeping smarter snacks available for those times when you are struggling with food choices. This might not help you on your off days, but its a start in the right direction.

2 comments:

Pony and Petey said...

Hey Dude...I was finally able to link to your blog again. Could I please have permission to read it all the time?

This entry was SO encouraging to me...it feels good to know that I'm not alone in my struggle, that someone understands just how incredibly HARD it is to try to eat right day after day, just to maintain a certain weight, even with all the running and other exercise.

I agree 100% with everything you said. It's not about food... it's something else that's in my head or my heart that controls what happens to my stomach.

The people who give us flippant answers are the ones who don't have the head/heart interference with their stomach. For them, it's truly all about their stomach... they feel hungry, they eat, they feel full, they stop eating.

For the rest of us, the head/heart rules the stomach. We don't feel hungry, we eat anyway, we feel totally I'm-about-to-be-sick stuffed and we don't stop eating.

We don't need flippant answers or even simple answers from those who mean well. We need a recognition and an understanding that we're dealing with a very serious situation that is not solved simply, quickly or easily. It's a lifelong struggle with some successes and lots of failures.

I believe our disease is harder to overcome than an alcoholic's or drug addict's...we MUST eat... we cannot simply abstain from food.

I love the quote from an obesity doctor..."how successful would an alcoholic be if he had to take a drink EVERY day...just a small drink, but he had to have it".

That really puts it into perspective and hopefully, helps the "stomach people" have a glimpse into the terrible struggle we deal with ALL THE TIME. And maybe, helps them understand us and not judge us when we fail.

Thanks for sharing your heart, I deeply appreciate it!

The Williams Family said...

I just wanted to let you know that I really gain inspiration reading your blog. I added it as a favorite because I feel we are a lot alike. Your tag line used to say something like you started running to lose weight. So did I. After several false starts, running has finally "stuck" on me. My wife encouraged me to sign up for a 5k and that goal would keep me running in the weeks leading up to it. It has worked. When I started I was at 259 lbs and I'm now at 236. I still have a ways to go, but I no longer have the helpless feeling that "it's just no use, I'll always be this big." I see it as a foregone conclusion - I will lose the weight, it's only a matter of time. That's why I like running. I feel the same way. I talked a lot last year of doing the 1/2 Marathon, but I didn't do it. Didn't even sign up. This year, much like my feeling of the weight loss, I feel that it's a done deal. I'm signed up, and I'm even "running for a reason." My training has been consistent...it's just a matter of time.

I guess the point to my rambling is that I can sympathize with your situation. I hope you keep up the hard work. Don't ever give up.