Sunday, December 09, 2007

I tried. 30k

Decent nutrition + being sick + sub-par training + unseasonal heat = DNF

I tried. I gave it my best, but today it wasn't even close to enough.

At 4 miles I was overheating. Felt similar to wearing all my firefighting gear and rushing into a structural fire. Its a feeling of excessive heat and no way to get rid of it. I literally saw steam coming off of my shoulders.

I went into the race ready... so I thought. I "water-loaded". I've been sleeping longer. Better than average nutrition. Even this morning I put my best foot forward. On the course I was taking Gu and S-caps every hour. Consumed 2-3 cups of water at every station. Like I said above... I tried, but it wasn't enough.

At the 10k point it felt as if I couldn't consume enough water at the stations. Sweat was pouring off me with no end in sight. I started changing my routine, hoping I could settle into a rhythm. Initially I was running 10/4, which turned into 10/5, then 10/8, then 5/5, and finally 1/1. Not sure why, but even with all the changes, I stayed with the same "pod" of runner-walkers. Makes me assume they were making adjustments as well.

Also at this point, I started having stomach issues. After taking on water my stomach felt upset. Mile 9 started with full-blown nausea after consuming water. Mile 10 is when I knew I wouldn't finish. On the last two water stops I ended up throwing up shortly afterwards. I couldn't hold it down.

With one loop to go (mile 12), I saw John Yoder and Pony in the median. I stopped and asked their opinion. I wanted to quit, but I did not want to stop prematurely due to a mental barrier. John asked if I was cramping, to which I replied, "no". In fact, I had no other aches or pains. My knees, ankles, back, and running muscles felt fine. John's suggestion was to walk it in and live to run another day. I have a great amount of respect for John and Pony, therefore took their advice. I guzzled at least 4 cups of water at the Strider water station and started my 2.6 mile walk to the finish.

Ten minutes after leaving the loop course the cramps started. And it wasn't just one or two muscles, it was every muscle from my hips down. I was thirsty beyond description. During a stop break I got a bit alarmed. My shorts and shirt were dripping sweat, but my bare skin was bone dry. I had stopped sweating.

I stopped and talked to a friendly HARRA "medic" and asked the fastest way back to the finish line (my car). She replied, "The only way back is along the course, BUT its only 2-miles". She also didn't know of any sag wagons. Although, she did ask me if I needed to be checked out, so technically an ambulance is a sag wagon, right? That was the longest two miles I have ever walked.

I had to walk-around the finish line timing mat. Didn't want to be counted as a finisher, yet I needed to return my chip. I sat down against the wall nearest the finish chute. Within minutes I felt my muscles locking-up, so I got up and went to my truck.

The truck thermometer said it was 79 and weather.com showed 100% humidity. After showering at home I noticed a significant tan line from the sun today. It was horrible out there.

Classic dehydration. I am beat-the-fuck-up! Not sure what to do now. Time to send some emails and chat it over with a couple running coaches.

My timing is all jacked-up. When I stopped and chatted with John I was at 12 miles and a 13:16 pace. The final mileage read 14.65 with a 15:13 pace. That includes a lot of stopping and I didn't turn the garmin off till I was in my truck. Looks like it was a 14:30ish pace to the finish line.

5 comments:

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

i admire you for trying!

you will run another day!

hang in there, Bill.

hope you get to feeling well soon!

Pony and Petey said...

Dude...I admire you, as always. It was great seeing you out there and I'm sad for you that you didn't get to finish.

But I'm REALLY proud of you for doing what is best for your body. As Coach Pizza always says "don't run today so that you can run tomorrow!"

You're a paramedic, right? Can you give yourself an IV? Remember to eat high potassium, magnesium and calcium for those muscle cramps... maybe Erin will keep you well-stocked with shakes and smoothies = )

Steve Bezner said...

Bill, you did more than most Americans did on Sunday morning. Good seeing you out there on the course.

TX Runner Mom said...

Bill, sorry that the 30K didn't go as planned. But, it sounds like you did the right thing. Hope you make a fast recovery!

Tiggs said...

I'm glad you made the right decision- a DNF sucks, but heat stroke is not something to play around with. Hope you are feeling better and good for you making the right choice!