Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bike Ride

Seems that 'Let Me Out' isn't the only dormant blog out there. Lots of my daily readers are lacking any recent post. Blogging comes-and-goes with me. I just don't always have the extra time. Between two jobs and two kids, my schedule stays booked. Not much to talk about with a sports theme either. The right knee is quite bothersome and it has restricted me to walking and biking. I'm hoping to have it looked at within the next month. It feels exactly like my other knee problem (2007), which required arthroscopic surgery.

Speaking of biking, I bought Andrea a road bike for Christmas, in hopes that she will become a consistent riding buddy. Today we took her bike out for its maiden voyage. Cycled 20 miles a little over 13 mph. We had a fierce wind to deal with, but were able to dodge the isolated rain storms.

Andrea also experienced her first crash... compliments of ME. We could hear a noise coming from the front of her bike. After closer inspection I noticed her right brake pad on the front was rubbing. In the past I've had the same problem. Usually I simply reach down and fix the issue without losing any speed. Without thinking it out, I told her to reach down and move the brake arm slightly. Well she grabbed the brake arm and when she went to pull it away from the wheel she lost her balance. Everything happened in a flash of an eye. She bent down, then POOF... she was gone. I looked back and all I saw was a pile of human & bike debris in the middle of the road. Thankfully she was wearing her helmet. Andrea said she smacked the side of her head really hard. She escaped without any serious injury. A little road rash on her left forearm was about the worst of it. Two or three minutes later she was on her bike again and laughing about the mishap. Needless to say... I felt horrible about giving a brand-spanking-new rider such bad advice.

We rode around the grass farms in Crosby. Nice long straight roads with very few cars. We talked a lot about "rules of the road", while enjoying a nice easy ride.

BIKE:
1:33:00
20.26 miles
13.02 mph

3 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Sounds like a good ride despite the crash.

Unknown said...

Take it easy on the little girl, Bill!

Humble Runner said...

She's tougher than she looks!